The Mirror Dimension

The portal stretches from the ground to the sky, and the world beyond seems to mimic every character my world has. I have come a long way - from swimming through the waters, scaling the hills, and trailing the deserts - and now, I can't give up.

I'll fight through, and reach my destination.

I run across the stony path to the gateway, the cobblestones digging into my bare feet as the thumping of my quick feet matches the pounding of my heart. Chilly air blows across my face as blood rushes to my nose, making me breathe erratically. I can feel my limbs stress and stretch in agony as I increase my speed, the portal seeming to go farther and farther as I run.

I feel like Dorothy on the yellow brick road, reaching for my dreams and trying to escape a world where I never belonged. I need to go somewhere else. Anywhere else. The gateway finally comes in front of me, but my heart drops when I look into it.

A soldier to stop me. A protector to guard her world.

I stretch my hands as she does the same and walks towards me, just like I do. I strike my fist at her, but it collides with her hand. I try again, but her hand collides with me again. I huff and back off. The portal suddenly seems to ripple and stretch, and stills. I flinch when the soldier nears me, her movements unnaturally calm.

"Mirror," she says robotically, stretching her hand and putting her finger on her side of the portal. I frown, not understanding her. She tilts her eyes towards her finger, pressing it against the screen.

I raise my finger, slowly and hesitantly putting it where her digit rests. As soon as I do, the portal turns red and purple, rippling into waves like water, and I disappear into nothingness.

We've seen signs of a mirror-image universe that is touching our own | New  Scientist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commit

a bouquet of roses

I am the Devil