The Letter I Waited For

"It's here." My sister swung the door open, panting.
"I'm not in a mood for pranks, Maggie." I ignored her, keeping my head buried in my book.
"Not a prank," she said, waving an envelope in her hand. 
"What?!" 
I ran after her as she went downstairs to the living room. She thumped down on the sofa and proceeded to open up the letter.
"I'm the elder one. I have to open it."
My mind overflowed with curiosity, and I tore open the envelope. 

"Honey,
Let your sister read the letter, too... "

My mother knew me a little too well. I hesitantly held the letter between us.

My darlings. If you're reading this, I've too left your lives. The terrible disease took me away, but believe me, I am happy. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I left you. You know, I had no choice. I tried my best to hold on, to live on, but what will be, will be. I don't know how long after this letter will reach you. I hope it reached you soon. The day both of you came into my life, was the most wonderful day of my life. As years passed, we had an eventful life. We fought, we reconciled. When your father died, I had to be both the parents for you. I was a first-time mother, and I made mistakes. There was no way I could raise you without your father. But I did. I tried my best. Yes, I wasn't the best mother you could have. You deserved a lot more. But I tried. I tried as much as I could. 

You're young women, now. Beautiful, confident, strong, young women. You're not being sheltered anymore: I am not there to shelter you. You have to be out in the world; though it's cruel, it can be wonderful too. So, don't shut yourself out, but be careful. Trust people, but not so much that they can hurt you. But remember, you're not alone: you have each other. 

And, you girls? You were the best daughters I could ever hope for. You made me laugh, you made me happy. Yes, there were times we weren't on the best terms. But through every up and down, I've loved you. And I know you love me too. For any mistake you think you did, I forgive you. But, I think, everything you ever did made me prouder. You learned and grew beautifully.

I hope you forgive me for every mistake I made. I hope you forgive me for leaving you. 
I love you, and I am always with you. With you, in your hearts.

Yours,
Mom.

A drop fell on the paper, smudging my mother's last written words.  My sister wrapped her arms around me, and we smiled, remembering the times the three of us had together.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commit

a bouquet of roses

I am the Devil