The Murder down the Firewatch

I hate Tuesdays.

It might have been a mundane thing to say if it wasn't for the fact that while Mondays have me skipping to work (note the sarcasm) after a restful weekend (note the sarcasm, again) while Tuesdays have me wishing for Friday again. Just one day of work, and that's how I feel.

I feel like I need to Netflix and chill again, without the euphemistic part of it. But I've got Liv with me. I'll feed her those cheddar goldfish she loves so much.

Livie's my cat, if you didn't know that. And no, I am not the old cat-lady. I'm barely thirty.


...okay, I'm thirty-eight but that's definitely not the point.

Now, coming back to Tuesdays. 

I might have disliked Tuesdays a little less if it weren't for yesterday. You guessed it, yesterday was a Tuesday. What's worse this time? 

I saw someone kill someone.




 I know what you're saying.

What does the crazy cat-lady know?!

That's what I thought, too. I knew, for a fact, that I was not high on orange-vodka slushies, and I definitely did not climb on so up the fire watch tower that the lack of oxygen got to me. There was a knife, and there was a woman. Don't you see it? Woman+knife=dead?

I do. In fact, I saw it clearly. I saw it in front of my eyes, so clearly, that I could practically feel the knife in my back.

Today's Wednesday. As the police gather around the black tarp-covered body and murmur and shout, my heart feels unusually heavy. I lean against one of the pillars of the firewatch tower, wondering if the woman under the tarp had a cat to feed, or maybe a family to love. An officer walks right past me, making my eyebrows raise in suspicion as she pulls the yellow tape from one pillar to the other, keeping me inside the perimeter.

"Excuse me?" I speak, ducking below the tape. As I do, a sharp pain invades my back, making me touch the spot.

Blood.

My eyes widen in realisation, the whole scene of the murder flashing before my eyes. I wish I saw the man, but it was probably my lousy landlord taking revenge for not paying the rent for the last two months. I roll my eyes, and as a sudden gush of wind passes by, the tarp flutters open, revealing my freckled face.

I just wish there was someone to feed Liv the goldfish.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commit

a bouquet of roses

I am the Devil